[mythtv-users] Solutions to tuning issues

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 04:03:37 UTC 2006

I'm having trouble tuning some channels. I've been trying to fine-
tune a lot of them, but with at least 70 channels, it's quite a
tedious and annoying task. I'm looking into possible solutions. At
the moment, I'm using analog cable connected to a PVR-150. At the
moment, the most logical option is to get a digital cable box (we
have a digital cable service for the other two TVs in the house), and
just connect it to the PVR-150 through S-Video, and using either the
IR-Blaster in the PVR-150, a serial IR-blaster, or a direct serial
connection, to work the digital cable box.

But I rather dislike working with LIRC. It's always rubbed me the
wrong way. and I've always considered the possibility of getting a
High-Def cable box, and using the FireWire port on it to record the
data. But I'm using an XBox as a Front-End, and we only have Standard
Definition televisions. The back-end is a low powered Celeron 650 MHz
with 256 MB of RAM. Is there a way to have a high-def cable box scale
down to something like 480p, that the XBox could be able to play this
back? Or am I just better off messing with LIRC and learning the lingo?

However, I'd be willing to settle for letting MythTV just simply do
automatic fine-tuning adjustments, like a cable-ready TV sets do.
I've heard this system is available, but I've been as yet unable to
find it. I'm running KnoppMyth R5A30.

Duct Tape Tip No. 118:
     Protect tip of tongue so you can lick cold flag poles in the
winter without risk.
     --The Duct Tape Book by Jim and Tim