[mythtv-users] SOLVED System Load/Performance Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 24 23:13:13 UTC 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 3:00 PM, mrwester wrote:

> This sounded like it could be related to problems I've been seeing
> with ivtv corruption and prebuffering pauses, however with my nforce2
> chipset I can't adjust the pci latency for the IDE, audio or a few
> other controllers, which are all set to 0.  I don't have a problem
> changing the latency for the build-in video (which was set to 248) and
> the ivtv cards.  I found this to be the case for both nforce2 based
> systems I tried.  I didn't find anything through google that really
> addressed this issue.  Does anyone else see this?  Is this a potential
> issue?  Is there any reason to have the video card latency so high?  I
> lowered the video latency and I'm going to see what effect it has on
> performance.
>

> Hi Bob-
>
> Did you come to any  resolution with this?  I've got an nforce2
> system as well (chaintech) , and I cannot adjust pci latency for
> IDE either...  I see a systematic stuttering (1 every 1.5 seconds
> or so?) of CNN tickertape with my XP2900, FX5200 system, that I
> can't help think it has something to do with PCI latency.  I get
> occasional glitches in HDTV recordings as well, for example if
> someone accesses mythweb while the recording is happening.  I think
> this is all related, but like you, I'm not finding any answers by
> google.  Thanks for any insight,

Every system I have checked (albeit only 4 of them) has had the
graphics card set at 248. I've seen a couple of boxes (like my Dell
P4) that had IDE set to 0, but I'm not running Myth on that one so I
haven't played with it yet.

The "0" value may be something special in the PCI/DMA setup, and may
not mean what it seems to mean.I'm trying to learn more as well.

You say you can't change the latency for the IDE system, what happens
when you run setpci? Does it seem to work and just not set the value?