[mythtv-users] More problems than it's worth?

Bradley Remedios bremedios at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:25:53 UTC 2006

On 2/24/06, James Minihane <j.minihane at minihane.tzo.com> wrote:
> Initially I thought MythTV was THE ANSWER. But reading these lists, it
> seems that MythTV is more of a headache than a godsend. I'm not about to
> invest a few thousand in hardware into a problem ridden system.
> Here's the question...
> How many of you actually use MythTV to...
> Time delay live TV, watch DVDs, schedule recordings, listen to music, and
> view pictures and actually have things work without reboots etc?

I haven't been using MythTV for very long.  In fact, I've just got it
installed on a desktop machine right now as I wanted to evaluate it
first before dumping a bunch of money into it.  I have been very happy
with how it works.

The installation was easy, just make sure that you follow the
instructions correctly.

I installed via atrpms on Fedora Core 4.  I have an ATI 9800 that I
use for tv out and some really old, used bttv card.  I'm now looking
at getting a "real" dedicated system that I can hook up to the tv and
stereo full time.

I do not do anything HD as I don't have any HD broadcasts or an HD tv
so I cannot comment on any of that stuff.

If you are un-sure of it, I would suggest maybe picking up a tuner
card and trying it out on your current computer.  That way you won't
spend much money (if any) and can determine if it is really something
that you like or want.

The Issues I had with MythTv in fact ended up being created myself,
and the people on the list I find very helpful.
--
Bradley Remedios