[mythtv-users] More problems than it's worth?

N Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 24 18:53:24 UTC 2006

> James Minihane wrote:
>

>Initially I thought MythTV was THE ANSWER. But reading these lists, it
>seems that MythTV is more of a headache than a godsend. I'm not about to
>invest a few thousand in hardware into a problem ridden system.
>Here's the question...
>How many of you actually use MythTV to...
>Time delay live TV, watch DVDs, schedule recordings, listen to music, and
>view pictures and actually have things work without reboots etc?

This looks like a solicitation for my comments...

I do all you mention with my myth box.  When I was running with a
capture card (hauppauge PVR-350) and a 20" LCM monitor, all worked
perfectly.  I could watch live TV, recordings, videos, and DVDs.  I even
listened to MP3s and CDs without problems.  I liked the MythWeather
pluggin too.  A few months ago, I switched to a firewire connected
DCT-6412 and a Samsung 27" LCD HDTV.  Once it's running, it's solid.  If
for some reason, the firewire bus resets, there are times when the
nodeid changes.  do not confuse this for a Myth issue.  If you intend on
going with an analog capture card, you should not have any issues.
Other comments I've seen here and I'll make them again: people don't
generally comment when things are working.