[mythtv-users] More problems than it's worth?

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 24 17:06:59 UTC 2006

James Minihane wrote:
> Initially I thought MythTV was THE ANSWER. But reading these lists, it
> seems that MythTV is more of a headache than a godsend. I'm not about to
> invest a few thousand in hardware into a problem ridden system.
> Here's the question...
> How many of you actually use MythTV to...
> Time delay live TV, watch DVDs, schedule recordings, listen to music, and
> view pictures and actually have things work without reboots etc?

Well Tivo isn't necessarily THE ANSWER either.

But you should go into MythTV with your eyes open.  It's great if you
want another hobby.  It's incredibly satisfying to get to the point
where you can really take advantage of the architecture and OSS aspects
of MythTV.  I admit I'm not fully there yet, but I have some fun things
planned, for example, for integrating my MythTV and Asterisk installations.

I think it would be hard to argue that MythTV is a "cheaper" solution
than Tivo.  In the end, if you're willing to trade a lot of time and
effort, it probably is.  But only you can determine whether that trade
makes sense -- I think for a lot of us, the time spent with MythTV is a
labor of (mostly) love (and an occassional tiny little bit of hate ;-) ).

But you should check out some of the Tivo message boards as well.  This
PVR stuff, especially if you mix in any degree of advanced AV equipment,
and integrate other media besides analog cable TV, gets pretty
complicated.  There are so many moving targets.  Many of the Tivo folks
have similar sounding problems; one big difference is that Tivo is
proprietary, so there's no access to any hardware or software
alternatives if you get stuck.

For me, the involvment in the OSS process, the chance to learn about all
the related technologies, the ability to integrate with other (home
automation related) technologies, the relative "future proof"-ness of a
MythTV investment, and the shear pleasure of getting it running is worth
it.

In short, it's a great thing to monitor this message board for a while
if you're on the fence.  If you find these discussions more daunting
than enlightening, that's a strong indicator to stay away. But don't
take the volume on this board as an indication that most of us (and our
"users") aren't generally using MythTV for exactly what we got it for,
and with a significant amount of satisifaction.