[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.19 transcode fails (Unknown video codec ) RESOLVED

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:34:02 UTC 2006

On 2/24/06, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 23:09 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 23 February 2006 08:35, Andrew Heath wrote:
> > > Yeah, I have no idea what oss.
> > >
> > > Anyway...  It looks like they need to add a --disable-audio-oss flag in
> > > gentoo.  You would think the -oss would take care of this, but it doesn't.
> >
> > No, they should NOT be using --disable-audio-oss. That's exactly what's
> > screwing things up.
>
> Sigh... here goes... Jarod - it seems that for some reason people are
> not getting what's going on here...
>
> What Jarod, Isaac, and everyone else that has "been there" is trying to
> say is the following:
>
> 1. OSS kernel drivers don't have to be on your box.  ALSA is what's in
> the kernel these days, and it has an OSS compatibility layer for
> programs that still want to use OSS.  That doesn't mean that OSS is in
> your kernel.
>
> 2. Myth can use ALSA and it can use OSS.  It doesn't care whether it's
> "true" OSS (such as the deprecated kernel drivers or those found at
> www.opensound.com) or "emulated" OSS via the ALSA compatibility layer.
>
> 3. Leaving ALSA as installed will give you the OSS compatibility layer
> PROVIDED BY ALSA.  Myth is fine with it (as stated in Note #1)
>
> 4. DO NOT USE "--disable-audio-oss" when building Myth UNLESS YOU FALL
> INTO A PARTICULAR SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES such as building for OSX.  EVEN
> IF YOU PLAN ON USING JUST ALSA!
>
> 5. Read Note #4 again
>
>         -Ian

out of curiosity, I have been building with --disable-audio-oss for a
few months now on my Debian systems (64 and 32) and haven't noticed
any issues. what exactly does disabling oss do that you recommend
against disabling it, are there issues that I might be experiencing
that I shouldn't due to the fact that I've been disabling it?

--
Steve