[mythtv-users] FC4: 0.18 ---> 0.19

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 24 07:18:20 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 11:02, Noel Murphy wrote:
> I just want to jump in on this a bit here. Mostly so that other
> people out there like me see the response to my question.
>
> For the longest time, I was in a situation where I couldn't upgrade
> my kernel version and the xorg packages. Updating either (or both)
> broke my system and I'd get nothing but a black screen.
>
> At this point, I was doing stuff like what buddy had suggested
>
> yum upgrade myth\*
>
> anytime I wanted to upgrade my system. This had always worked for me
> thus far, but maybe I didn't realize something wasn't updating when
> it should.

In general, it will probably work, but isn't guaranteed to.

> My question then is (and I realize this is more of a yum question):
>
> How do you do the suggested global update, but still ensure that
> certain packages DON'T get updated. I was just doing the above
> because it happened to be what I tried and it seemed to work.

In the case of urw-fonts, where I have the FC2 version installed on an FC4 box
to remedy the funky font size problem (looks to finally be fixed in the FC5
urw-fonts, btw), I have the following in /etc/yum.conf:

exclude=urw-fonts*

And from 'man yum.conf':

exclude
              List of packages to exclude from updates or installs. This
should be a space separated list.   Shell  globs using wildcards (eg. *
and ?) are allowed.

> If smart is better, I have no problem switching again. I use Jarod's
> guide (thanks btw) and I swear it used to be apt

Correct, but apt was not usable with a multiarch 64-bit system (recent
unofficial patches have brought initial support for this back though).

> then yum and is now
> going to switch to smart. I can roll with the times. I just never get
> a chance to master any of these package management tools before a new
> one pops up / becomes the standard.

Heh, sorry. :)

--
Jarod Wilson