[mythtv-users] Chat client for MythTV

Poul Petersen petersp at alleft.com
Thu Feb 23 19:57:03 UTC 2006

> So I just thought it would be cool if I could use this handy dandy
> GMail account to send her a chat popup to say "Hey babe, isn't MythTV
> cool?  Don't you regret ever telling me to give up and go back to
> TiVo?"

	You can kind of do something similar already using mythtvosd.
I do this sometimes when guests are "checking out" MythTV at my house.
While they are watching a show, I'll do something like:

mythtvosd --template=scroller --scroller_text="Severe weather warning... really big clouds on the horizon. Ohhhh, so scary."

	This brings up a scrolling message at the bottom of the screen,
and if you start with something believeable it can be pretty amusing.
There are two other templates: a "CID" for Caller-ID and an "alert"
template. The usage is slightly different, but "mythtvosd --help"
should get you thru it.

	Of course, this isn't *exactly* what you are talking about, i.e.
a full fledged chat client would allow the user to send some kind
of response. But to just send a message to your myth box (actually
*all* of your myth boxes since it broadcasts) via email
this could work with a suitable procmail rule or similar.

-poul