[mythtv-users] 0.19 Live-TV problems with DVB backend

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Thu Feb 23 16:11:52 UTC 2006

I appear to be having the same problem.

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 11:30:32AM +0100, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> >PVR500: master backend has 1 PVR500 and 1 PVR250.  satje2: DVB
> >slave backend has 1 DVB-S tuner. This system also runs the MySQL
> >database.  storage is on a fileserver accessed over nfs. master and
> >slave backend use the same mount point in their trees and nfs
> >storage.  What i observe is that live-TV on the master backend
> >works OK, but on the master backend mostly works not at
> >all. Attached all information i have gathered so far.

I have two nova-t DVB cards on the backend which is running Debian
testing with mythtv 0.19 from Marillat's repository.  I see the same
problem with my laptop and a different machine as frontends (both also
Debian testing / Marillat).

Recording programs works perfectly as does playback of recorded
programs.  Live TV shows a black screen for about 40 seconds before
returning to the mythfrontend menu.

Here are the frontend and backend logs for the period.

  http://www.craig-wood.com/nick/pub/livetvprob
  http://www.craig-wood.com/nick/pub/livetvprob-fe

I haven't tried live-TV on the backend machine itself because X isn't
configured on it, but live-TV on neither frontend works.  It worked
fine with previous versions of MythTV.

I'm not using NFS to share files (I don't know how to do that and I
haven't configured it!), I'm using the myth streaming protocol AFAICT.

> >My main observation is that the frontend is requesting a different
> >filename, than the slave backend is actually using. This can be seen in
> >the frontend log, where file "32016_20060216182605.mpg" is requested.
> >This file exists on the nfs storage, but is not really used. A different
> >file, "32016_20060216182606.mpg" is actually growing in size (and thus
> >most likely used by the backend).

You can see exactly that in my logs too...

The backend starts recording 2501_20060223125151.mpg, the frontend
starts to play 2501_20060223125151.mpg, then the backend switches to
recording 2501_20060223125204.mpg, and the frontend timesout reading
from 2501_20060223125151.mpg.

When I try and play the relevant files with mplayer, the first just
appears black. Mplayer detects the MPEG TS format but doesn't appear
to find any pids to play.

The second file plays fine and is a snippet of the correct channel.

Here is a typical sample pair of files.  They aren't the actual ones
referenced in the log files though!

1: http://www.craig-wood.com/nick/pub/a.mpg (12 MBytes)
2: http://www.craig-wood.com/nick/pub/b.mpg (600 kBytes)

(I hardlinked these files shortly after creation so when the backend
deletes them shortly afterwards I still had the data available.)