[mythtv-users] FC4: 0.18 ---> 0.19

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Feb 23 08:37:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 11:50:02PM -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 February 2006 09:41, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Sorry for the misinformation.  Shouldn't yum resolve the dependencies
> > > though?
> >
> > No, it would only do so for missing packages (e.g. a new dependency
> > introduced by the latest mythtv package), not for such that exist, but
> > are outdated.
>
> To clarify, I'm fairly certain that in the case of only upgrading MythTV, 'yum
> upgrade myth\*' actually does basically work, if you're moving from one
> version to another (i.e. 0.18.1 to 0.19), including pulling in the updated
> libmyth and any new dependencies. However, it won't work if you're moving
> from say 0.19-120 to 0.19-121 though, as the libmyth dependency of say
> mythtv-frontend-0.19-121 would already be satisfied by libmyth-0.19-120. One
> could craft an upgrade line that would also pull in an updated libmyth, but I
> believe the point Axel is making is that deps on libraries outside of myth
> itself might also be met by older versions, but to get optimal functionality,
> you really need the latest ones ATrpms provides, so don't do selective
> updates.

There are also cases like for libquicktime, where core functionality
has changed w/o the soname bumping up the version. So w/o a complete
upgrade you will be hosted (if you use quicktime somehwere). There are
also similar things happening with almost all software pieces, even
glib/gtk and friends introduce new functions w/o bumbing the major
libversion for ages now.

Their argument is the same as here: They are only backwards compatible
and assume that you will always have upgraded to the glib/gtk version
the rest of the applications have been built against.

It is just the sane thing to do: Upgrade against the whole ensemble,
not a subpart.

> For the pending guide update to FC5, I'm more likely than not going to switch
> over to smart. While I like the idea of using the distro-provided tool (yum),
> its still got some issues with its depsolver. I'm hoping that once I'm
> settled in at Red Hat, I'll be able to spend some work hours on the yum code
> to help improve it... :)

Or spend some time getting in smart into the Core distribution? I've
looked a bit too often into yum's code, so I know that it's a
Herculian task to fix some things.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net