[mythtv-users] Transcode from MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder -> MPEG-4

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:06:47 UTC 2006

> If only Nigel would have continued the rest of his commit message (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/131123#131123 ) to
> explictily say what he was implying:
>
> Allow building with configure --disable-audio-oss [on systems without
> OSS, like MacOS]
>
> Then I'd be able to point you to the reason you shouldn't be using that
> option...
>
> Mike

How hard would it be to get that little line put in the configure
script for future versions?  I too ran into the disable-oss problem
with similar thinking of the above posters, and had problems.

I see the logic of "why not include it if it doesn't hurt anything"
but if that were the case, I'd use a default kernel with everything
included either directly or M'd.  I prefer my systems setup to my
exact needs, no more, no less.  So, my mentality is to not have OSS on
there since ALSA now fills that need.  Knowing that it would have
broken my system with that little tiny message would have, at least,
saved me the pain of troubleshooting what happens without it ;)

Again, not knowing a single thing about coding a configure script, but
couldn't the script be smart enough to recognize a Mac environment and
disable-oss on it's own rather than offer it as an (easy) option to
the general public (x86, x86_64, PPC, Sparq?...)?

Chad