[mythtv-users] Building new MythTV system, hardware help

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 01:14:36 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, James Minihane <j.minihane at minihane.tzo.com> wrote:
> I've just been cleared by the General (wife) to build a new MythTV system.
> I've got most things nailed down except for the storage array on the backend.
> I'll be capturing via firewire or PVR-500s.
> MoBo: Supermicro PDSMA
> CPU: Pentium D 840
> RAM: 1GB
> Case: RM4008
> Storage (OS, etc): 80GB (x2) SATA RAID-0
> Video/Audio storage: Here's where I need help.
> I'll have 6 SATA drives in RAID-5. I'd like to use this...
> http://www.cooldrives.com/8-channel-8-port-sata-pci-card.html
> and then use LVM/Raid on the CPU. But will Linux recognize this?
> I'd like not to have to use a 3Ware or MegaRaid.

I have to agree with the others who have replied. I fought with
SWRaid/NFS/xfs-jfs-reiser for more than 2 years. I had countless
little, untraceable stability problems.

Bought a 3ware card (9500S-12) and never looked back. So VERY VERY
worth it. Wish I would have spent the money in the beginning.

Short Reason:
The amount of IO across the various busses / cpu that a good Raid5
setup will require taxes consumer grade hardware MUCH faster, and is
much more likely to be affected, and to affect, even the littlest
thing in the machine.

On a HW Raid5 card, all that IO takes place across the card, leaving a
lot more PCI bandwidth to endpoints like Capture cards, ethernet
cards, etc.