[mythtv-users] 0.19: possible MythMusic LCD bug - music leftvisible after exit

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Feb 22 19:00:39 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Bird" <neil at fnxweb.com>
To: "MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:31 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] 0.19: possible MythMusic LCD bug - music leftvisible after exit

>   This may actually be particular to my settings, as it's a fairly glaring
>issue that I'd have expected any MythMusic+LCD users to have seen already, but
>I've had a rummage through the code and it does look like an omission.

>   With 0.19's spanky new lcdproc support, I thought I'd turn it on (in
>parallel with the home-brew script I already have running).  I just turned on
>'music' and 'menu' in the front-end, and all seemed to be working swimmingly:
>  I started mythmusic and got the current track up OK.

>   However, when I left mythmusic to go back to the main menu, the mythmusic
>LCD display stayed visible, frozen at the point the music was at when I stopped it

>   I can't see anything in the code that either times out the music display or
>drops it back to low priority (or off) when mythmusic is exited (it merely
>does a 'display time';  I'm not displaying time via myth, but even if I was,
>wouldn't this just mean the music screen'd cycle round again?).

>   Is this a genuine fault or have I got some setting wrong?

>--
>[neil at fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
>[neil at fnx ~]# ls -l .signature
>ls: .signature: No such file or directory
>[neil at fnx ~]# exit

It's a problem I did know about but since no one has complained up to now
I haven't bothered to fix it. It's not normally a problem because most people
have the clock display turned on which most if not all the plugins switch to when
they exit or it is also displayed when a popup menu times out. Myths lcd screens
don't cycle only one screen is displayed and that is the one with the highest
priority. When instructed to switch to a particular screen the lcd server changes
the priorities around so you only see the screen selected.

I'll probaby add a timeout in the mythlcdserver so if it doesn't receive a command
from a client after a set period it will switch to the clock display if it is enabled or
just blank the lcd if it is not. That would also fix the problem when a client crashes
or is killed and the lcd gets stuck on the last thing it was asked to show.

Paul H