[mythtv-users] Onboard Intel sound out - getting a ticking sound

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 22 18:46:57 UTC 2006

On Feb 22, 2006, at 11:21 AM, Steve Dorsey wrote:

> Hello
>
>    I'm using an Intel D915PBL on-board sound-out to power my speakers
> right now (I just set up my system). I get a constant ticking buzzing
> sound. Is this common? It gets louder when the volume increases.
>
> Here's a sample in mp3 format:
>
> http://www.dorseygraphics.com/forumphotos/mythticking.mp3
>
> I have no idea what's causing it. I hope it does not happen with my
> fiber audio out also.
>
> Any ideas?

Great idea posting the mp3.

Sure sounds digital, or possibly even a fan tach signal.

I'd make sure that all your mixer inputs are muted and/or potted down
except the ones you're using (especially any analog ones).

If you still have the problem you might try potting down each in-use
input, one at a time, and see if you can identify which if any inputs
it is getting into.

If that fails, move any cards you can as far away from the audio chip
as possible, re-route any cables that pass close to the audio chip
and/or header.

Check for possible ground loops. You might check Tremaine's "Audio
Cyclopedia", I think the section on grounding is only 700 - 800 pages
long :-)