[mythtv-users] How do you tell XF86 to use DVI instead of VGA?

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Wed Feb 22 13:48:38 UTC 2006

Richard Bronosky wrote:

>I have an HDTV connected to the DVI port and a monitor connected to
>the VGA, I use the monitor for the consoles and the HDTV for MythTV.
>(Yeah, that sucks, but I can't get the bootsplash to work, so I'm
>stuck with my TV's overscan.)  But to get MythTV on the HDTV (DVI), I
>must reboot with the VGA detached.
>
>Is there something I can put in my Xconf to tell X to start on DVI?  I
>have: BusId "PCI:1:0:0" and I've tried tweaking that a few ways and it
>always prevents X from starting.
>
>Ideas?
>
>--RB

IIRC, the added lines need to be in the Device section for your video
card (Or maybe ServerLayout?).   If you're using an nvidia driver, you
have to set up TwinView (google it.. lots of information), I believe.

Try a google search for:

ati dual-head xorg
and
nvidia twinview xorg

Tons of info (and a great learning experience. :))

--Phill W.