[mythtv-users] Jarod's guide and FC5

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 05:20:48 UTC 2006

On 2/22/06, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> This is interesting to hear given that my Pentium 4 3.0GHz has EMT64
> extensions. Michael or anyone else, can you comment on any performance
> improvements with Myth running in 64-bit mode?

running your machine in 64 bits mode isn't going to make your machine runs
faster.

There are quite significant drawback in running 64 bits. Many commercial
applications do not run in 64 bits (macromedia flash, real player etc..) so
you have to run them in 32 bits.
Libaac also crashes a lot on my machine. If you're using mp3 then it's fine,
but most of my music was imported on a mac using AAC encore.

So on my machine, most application run in 32 bits and it's a hassle to
maintain your machine as you have to constantly check which package you're
going to install/upgrade
JY