[mythtv-users] Blending/spanning two crt projectors using myth and nvidia nview

Stapp, Theodore Theodore.Stapp at chartercom.com
Wed Feb 22 04:36:37 UTC 2006

 On 2/21/06, Greg Oliver <goliver[at]cistera.com> wrote:
> > > On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 20:41 -0500, Gene Stapp wrote:
> > >The hardware option runs around $17k :) I'm pretty sure I can do
this
> > >through this setup. I think dual SLI might be the only way to go...
but
> > >a quadro card should have no problem driving two 540p screens so
I'll
> > >look at that as an option...
> > >Yeah I think my biggest obstacle is going to be alignment but that
is
> > >doable with the blanking and adjustment options the crt's have...
it be
> > >a lot easier to do with an lcd projector though... thanks for the
input
> > >so far. If I get this working I'll take some high megapixel digital
> > >pictures and put them up on the web :)
> >

> >I have a Ti4200 which can drive 1 display @ 1600x1200 and another at
> >1280x1024 simultaneously. Watch a DVD on one and games on another
have
> >no band width issues on an AGP 4x bus.
> >
> > -Greg

>:Drool:
>
>Relating to your response and the original posters:
>
>Can I do both with little user interaction?
>
>I've always had the dilemma of wanting to play games/watch shows while
>my wife wants to watch something else or watch a show while I play
>games. We usually solve it by me watching something she wants to
>watch ;) I'd really like to have something like you guys are
>discussing. Have 2 front projectors (overhead preferably) displaying
>1 image across my entire wall without any break where the 2 output's
>merge. And then, an hour later, watch one half the wall, while the
>other half displays my xbox game :)
>
>Any ideas? And like the original poster, something under the $17k
>range would be cool.
>
>Chad

Chad, the simplest way I can think of would be to have a dual boot setup
with mythtv using a swappable harddrive tray. One harddrive boots myth
to run spanned across both displays, the other uses the first display
only and then you could use your own input on the other display. This
would allow your wife to enjoy her mythtv watching and you to use your
xbox.
An even easier option would be to just have your wife use something
other than myth for input (like say you have dvi in and component in.
Have myth use the dvi and then just switch it to component with a cable
box to watch live tv. Same with the 2nd display have it use dvi (or vga)
like the first when you want to use spanned myth but then to use a
different input when you want your xbox to be used.
Hope this helps

This product is very interesting...
http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2621&p=1
Would allow you to use more than just mythtv for spanning, but it still
needs a computer and it doesn't look like it supports anything but built
in laptop graphics cards yet.
Cost- $170
Would be awesome if that could do spanning with any vga or dvi input

Gene

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient of this message
or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender
 by reply e-mail and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or storage of this message or any attachment
is strictly prohibited.