[mythtv-users] Blending/spanning two crt projectors using myth and nvidia nview

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 02:23:06 UTC 2006

On 2/21/06, Greg Oliver <goliver at cistera.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 19:00 -0700, Chad wrote:
>
> > :Drool:
> >
> > Relating to your response and the original posters:
> >
> > Can I do both with little user interaction?
> >
> > I've always had the dilemma of wanting to play games/watch shows while
> > my wife wants to watch something else or watch a show while I play
> > games.  We usually solve it by me watching something she wants to
> > watch ;)  I'd really like to have something like you guys are
> > discussing.  Have 2 front projectors (overhead preferably) displaying
> > 1 image across my entire wall without any break where the 2 output's
> > merge.  And then, an hour later, watch one half the wall, while the
> > other half displays my xbox game :)
> >
> > Any ideas?  And like the original poster, something under the $17k
> > range would be cool.
>
> Twinview from nVidia  makes it easy.  Their docs from the drivers
> explain it all as far as your xorg.conf goes.  If you run into trouble,
> I will be happy to help, but they have a whole section in the readme
> that details twinview.

The only thing that I can add here is that TwinView will have problems
if you switch one display to your x-box (As the other will only have
half the screen on it). However, if you have 2 MythFrontend
definitions, one for Xinerama All and one for a specific display
(Possibly doing something with the "Use Hostname" option for the
different executables) then you can have a script (Perhaps on the
remote) that kills the "Widescreen" frontend and switches to a
single-display 4:3 display (And vice-versa). Then to use the X-Box
you'd need to switch inputs on one projector and hit the "Single
Screen" button on the remote for the Myth box.

Just a thought.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston