[mythtv-users] Correct way to de-int NTSC on nVidia MX440?

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 01:16:41 UTC 2006

Is there a decent way to deinterlace NTSC with the
S-Video output on an nVidia MX440?  I just can't seem
to get it right.  I have a 37" Toshiba (non HD) TV, so
artifacts from the interlacing are quite obvious.

I've found that only the bob ('n weave) deinterlace
truly deinterlaces properly.  (Though I think kernel
deinterlace and linear blend may look a tad better
than not deinterlacing.)  The problem is, bob
deinterlacing doesn't maintain sync, so when I'm
watching video, it will go in and out of jittering the
image.  When it's in sync it looks great.

I've tried to run nvtv on the box, but it always
segfaults.  I eventually found in the documentation
for nvtv that it won't work with MX440 video cards.

Anyway, if anybody out there has managed to get good
deinterlacing with the TV output from a MX440, I'd
really like to know how it's done.  Is there some way
to align the scanlines of the TV out to every-other
line in the 640x480 screen, for example?

FWIW, the modeline I'm using for video output is:

ModeLine      "640x480" 25.20 640 664 760 800 480 491
493 525

The monitor section looks like this:
Section "Monitor"
  DisplaySize  240 180  # mm
  HorizSync 30-50
  Identifier   "Monitor[0]"
  ModelName    "M991"
#  Option       "DPMS"
  VendorName   "Toshiba"
  VertRefresh  60
  UseModes     "Modes[0]"
EndSection

And the "device" section looks like this:
Section "Device"
  BoardName    "GeForce4 MX440SE"
  BusID        "1:0:0"
  Driver       "nvidia"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "NVidia"
  Option       "NvAGP" "1"
  # Option       "NoLogo" "true"
  Option       "HWCursor" "true"
  Option       "RenderAccel" "true"
EndSection

While the module section looks like this:
Section "Module"
  Load         "glx"
  Load         "type1"
  Load         "extmod"