[mythtv-users] How To Add Pages to the Wiki

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Feb 21 20:40:45 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>

>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> Just trying to add a category to the Knowledge base, I click on
>>> "Edit" and get a blank page.
>>>
>>> Trying to edit stuff deeper down seems to work, so I assume I am
>>> prevented from changing that page, but it would help a lot if I was
>>> informed of this somehow, instead of just being presented with a
>>> blank page that seems to be uneditable.
>>>
>>> So, how do I add a category? For some reason I can't get to gossamer
>>> threads right now, so I thought I'd ask.
>>>
>>> Please don't  take this as any sort of criticism of the Wiki, I know
>>> how hard it must be to keep such a thing administered and to prevent
>>> vandalism etc., and I thank those involved in keeping it up.
>>>

>> Anything in the wiki can be added two ways:
>>
>> 1.  Make a URL in your address bar that corresponds to the page you
>> want
>> to see, it will then bring  you to the edit page for the non-
>> existent page.
>>
>> 2.  Make a link on a "sandbox" page like your User page (click your
>> username) at the top and add a link to the non-existant page/category.
>>
>> Specifically for categories, categorizing a page into a non-existent
>> category will put the link to the missing category at the bottom of
>> the
>> page where it can be clicked and saved.
>>

> OK, I figured out how to create a page, and I *think* I saved it
> properly, but it doesn't show up and your reference to "categorizing"
> doesn't mean anything to me, I don't see any link at the bottom, and
> I have looked through help:editing extensively.
>
> Does somebody have to look at the entry and approve it before it
> shows up ???
>
> I apologize, I know next to nothing about wiki entries, and no
> offense intended, but this is about as intuitive as a Microsoft API.

If you'ree Beww, you keep making the page as a category.  You should
read the Help on the left about categorization
(http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Help:Contents)

Pages have URLs like: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=PCI_Latency
Categories like:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:PCI_Latency

The Help explains how to categorize a page.  Look at the PCI Latency
page I made from your mistaken category creation and see how I
categorized it into the Glossary category.

Kevin