[mythtv-users] XFS crash

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Feb 21 18:32:54 UTC 2006

Tim Tait wrote:

>Yan, you don't say what install you use, Redhat, Debian, etc or what kernel.

FC-2.  System has been up and running for well in excess of a year in
its current base config.  The XFS file system was added last week,
converted from a botched ext-3 setup.

>I have been happily using XFS on a 4 drive RAID5 config under Debian
>Testing with a 2.6.8 kernel for almost 2 years, w/o experiencing any XFS
>issues. I use some of it for /usr, some for /home with Samba mounts, and
>200GB for Mythtv.

What surprised me was that the file system was fine one second, and then
crashed completely and unrecoverably with no explanation.  Googling
found others with the same experience.

At the time the system was getting hit fairly hard with a big rsync job
as well as recording a show, but nothing the previous ext3 system didn't
handle.

>Maybe you are having memory error problems?

Possibly....  Though the rest of the system is absolutely stable and the
memory is ECC memory.

I've converted everything to JFS; we'll see if that pukes.  In the
meantime I am keeping my backup on an external USB drive....

--Yan