[mythtv-users] Transcode and remove commercials

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 21 00:45:03 UTC 2006

Ross Campbell wrote:

>On 2/20/06, Matt Hannan <mythtvlist at cox.net> wrote:
>

>>http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.14
>>  * After marking commercials, the transcoder can be run manually to
>>    delete the commercials from the file (thus further saving space)
>>
>>Are there anyways to automate this process?
>>
>There is a commandline way to automatically convert commercial
>autodetection points into a cutlist (same a s doing a "z" in edit
>cutlist) - search the archives and you should find it.
>
>Don't know about everyone else, but I almost never find a recording
>where I'm 100% satisfied with the autodetected cutpoints. Sometimes
>part of the show gets cut, too. I don't think I would ever want to
>automate cutlist editing based on my experience.

You can automatically transcode (without cutting commercials) and
commercial flag after transcode.  In backend settings:

Run Transcode Jobs before Auto-Commercial Flagging
If set, if both auto-transcode and auto commercial flagging are turned
ON for a recording, transcoding will run first, otherwise, commercial
flagging runs first.

If you really want to cut commercials first, you would probably have to
do so with user jobs (also in backend settings)--so at least you don't
have to resort to other hacks to know when to run jobs.  Unfortunately,
though, I don't know much of anything about user jobs, so I'll leave
that to someone else...

Mike