[mythtv-users] Ever use VNC? I find it really useful.

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 23:00:59 UTC 2006

rlewis wrote:
> I think you missunderstood why/how we use VNC.  We don't use it to watch the
> video on another PC.  We use it to "control" the pc attached to the TV in the
> other room.  For example, my wife wants to change what the kids are watching or
> select a different music playlist.  She connects by VNC to the mythfrondend,
> interacts with the menus and moves on.
>
> Sorry if I painted a difference picture.

No you didn't paint a different picture; I didn't misunderstand - no
need to apologize.  I was seconding the idea that someone should put up
a wiki about it if it's such a great idea though.  I think I'm more than
capable of using vnc on my myth box however (but havn't tried yet), as I
use it often at work anyway ;)
No, I know vnc would be pretty bad for video, but was thinking out
loud.  You never know if someone figured something interesting out.  I
stream it right now, but one thing that would be nice is either a
complete frontend for windows (for computers hooked up to TVs elsewhere
for gaming in XP for instance), or a cool workaround involving directly
displaying the remote mythtv gui and video on the current box.  ATI's
multimedia center (which is a terrible program otherwise) has a nice
option where you can watch live TV over the network while another
computer recording the TV actually serves it.  It works very well in
fact, except ATI's multimedia center stinks, and of course you can only
view it on other windows machines, etc.
I know there is a mythtv frontend for windows, but last time I tried it
simply crashed immediately upon starting.
Raphael