[mythtv-users] Nova-T USB2 or equivilant

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 20 22:59:12 UTC 2006

Matt Collins wrote:
> Hey ;)
>
> I have an EPIA II system (so virtually no CPU) with a PVR350 already
> in it. I'd like to get some more tuners on the box but sadly it only
> has one PCI slot and thats taken.
>
> I'm considering getting a Nova-T USB2 external box to get freeview
> (UK DVB) broadcasts... I guess my question is, has anyone had any
> experience with the USB models under linux + myth? Any idea how well
> they work?
>
> I understand the DVB signal is already encoded so the lack of CPU
> shouldn't be an issue, and I can use the PVR350's output to decode
> to TV.
>
> Alternatively, if anyone knows of a PVR500 style card (single PCI
> slot, multiple tuners) for DVB terrestrial signals that'd be great
> too.
>
> Thanks for any help,

Via make a 2 slot PCI riser/extender card (intended for small desktop
cases). This PCI extender is made to handle 2 PCI cards both physically
and electronically. Most PCI riser cards have a small daughter card
which fits into a second PCI slot and a cable to transfer that slot's
IRQ etc. to the riser card. The VIA card gets around that, internally.

I obtained mine from Logic Supply in Waterbury, Vermont for about $20.00
US... I think I ended up paying about that for rush UPS service across
the border! But I ordered on Monday afternoon and had the card on
Wednesday morning.

IIRC this riser card was designed for one of the small Casetronic cases.
I have seen it on a British website but no idea where now...

I also order a flexible PCI extender from Logic Supply. This cable +
sockets unit allowed me to 'fudge' the vertical and horizontal
differences in spacing between the VIA motherboard and the Silverstone
LC11M case. I now have a HD3000 card and a PVR500 in the case, operating
with no problems.

So give some consideration to going that route. It is much easier to
have the 2 cards installed internally. My total cost was about $50.00 US
including 2 UPS shipments.

--
       R. Geoffrey Newbury
     Barrister and Solicitor