[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth, too good to be true?

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Feb 20 18:38:37 UTC 2006

Blake wrote:

>On the other hand, if it goes seriously south, you have less grounding
>than you might if you did an FC4/Ubuntu/whatever install.
>
>(I really wanted to make Knoppmyth work but it installs beautifully then
>goes completely black, no command prompt, nothin'. Nobody seems to know
>why.)

I ran into that....  Turned out to be insufficient video memory on the
video card - this was one of those 'shared memory' cheapo boxen - and it
was set to 4MB.  Upping the video memory to 64 MB fixed that problem....

But yes, you are right.  It is an 'appliance install' - and if it dumps,
I guess it dumps....

The thing to remember, though, is that it is basically a debian install
once it's done, so if you can find your way around debian, you should be OK.

--Yan