[mythtv-users] KnoppMyth, too good to be true?

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Feb 20 18:22:01 UTC 2006

Thomas Baker wrote:

>I've been having lots of problems setting up MythTV in FC4.  Problems
>that range from sound problems (finally solved!), DVD playback issues,
>picture quality, and LIRC.  I'm thinking that maybe I should have just
>used KnoppMyth from the beginning.  It claims that I can just enter a
>little info and press teh magic button and Presto! a fully working
>MythTV setup with fully functional Hauppage remote.  Is it really this
>easy or should I just try and work out the bugs in my FC4 setup?  From
>those who have setup KnoppMyth, how did it go and does it live up to the
>hype?

Well, I set up a fullly functioning (well, almost - but more on that
later) Knopp-Myth box in about 40 minutes, and that included a
full-blown hardware test run in bootable CD mode.

I did manage to hose the final install by selecting i686 debs on an
Athlon box, so it segfaults all over the place, but that's my own
bonehead error.

Also, I use a few NFS mounts, separate backend/frontend, and my own
LIRC files, so it's a bit more invovled, but all in all Knopp-Myth lives
up to its billing.

Highly recommended.  It's so easy it's easier to reinstall than to try
and fix things you hose.

--Yan