[mythtv-users] System Load/Performance Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 20 05:17:11 UTC 2006

On Feb 19, 2006, at 10:00 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2006, at 9:57 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>>> I don't see any problems there (the cx88 card is not set up in
>>> MythTV), the only sharing I see is USB, which I'm not using.
>>>
>>> I just set up the offending situation again to get these numbers and
>>> I'm again getting the digital breakup, and occasional audio hits.
>>> vmstat shows 97 % idle and 0 wa. Mythfrontend shows between 12
>>> and 15
>>> % CPU
>>>

>> Google for PCI latency....  That may give you some relief, or not.
>>
>> ISTR you can adjust it via /proc..
>>

> OK, I'll do that, thanks.
>
> I should have mentioned BTW, I am getting "prebuffering pauses" from
> the frontend when these glitches happen.

Also: I've always got a message when ivtv inits:

"Unreasonably low latency timer setting to 64 (was 32)"

I'd always ignored this because I'd seen it in a lot of posted logs,
so I more or less assumed it was normal.

I may also be a victim of the infamous VIA chipset. I see that there
are some parameters I can play with in BIOS, such as PCI Delay
Transaction, but tomorrow's another day.

Thanks again.