[mythtv-users] Configuring Mythtv remotely

Cymen Vig cymenvig at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 23:56:12 UTC 2006

On 2/19/06, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it possible to configure mythtv via an ssh session, maybe using
> > mysql?  My mythbox is connected to my TV so whenever I need to run
> > mythtv-setup (which thankfully isn't too often), I have to hook a
> > keyboard up to it and manually run the setup program.  It would be
> > much easier if I could change configuration options remotely.
>
> 2 easy options I can suggest:
>
> 1) Set VNC in xorg.conf and run a VNC client to connect to the MythTV
> box. You can then use the keyboard and mouse from a remote PC to
> configure MythTV.

I use x11vnc and entry below in /etc/inittab. x11vnc lets me access
the display :0.0 so I can see the regular Myth GUI too. It's been
great for troubleshooting and when fiddling with the remotes.

vnc:5:respawn:/bin/su - mythtv -c 'sleep 5 && x11vnc -forever -rfbport
5900 -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd'

It works great and I've found it faster than running X remotely over
wireless (802.11g) with a admittedly poor Windows client.

x11vnc:
http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/