[mythtv-users] Antenna and signal strength (F7 in LiveTV)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Feb 19 23:50:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 06:41 -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Is there a utility somewhere that will let me measure signal strength
> from the antenna?

If this is for either DVB or ATSC (i.e. digital) you can hit F7
in MythTV while in LiveTV and it will bring up the signal monitor.
The values are all relative, but you can use it to determine if
any particular part of your system is the culprit.

My guess is that if the antenna gets any reception in the attic,
you will get perfect reception when it is mounted on a mast six
meters away from any wires, trees and roofing. If this is for
UHF only, then a one meter clearance is probably sufficient.

Good cable and clean connectors are a must if the receiver is any
significant distance from the antenna. I have a $25 indoor antenna
attached to a 60 cm piece of wood sitting outside and get perfect
UHF, the key was to get the antenna outside and the use of good
quality RG-6 cable with good connectors. I can even distribute
this signal to 5 tuners and have no problem with ATSC reception.

-- Daniel