[mythtv-users] 0.19 Mysql need tuning?

Rick Lewis rbonafied at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 19 22:21:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm a bit of a novice with mysql and myth.  I decided
to load phpmyadmin to help bridge that gap.  My system
was last recycled a day ago, but php seems to indicate
a need for better tuning of the queries and indexes.

My system has 512M mem and here are the tuning items
I've changed after reading the user mailing list:

Mysql version: 4.1.12

table_cache=256
tmp_table_size=48M
max_tmp_tables=64
key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 8M
sort_buffer_size = 48M
net_buffer_length = 8M
thread_cache_size = 4
query_cache_type = 1
query_cache_size = 4M
skip-innodb

Can someone help me determine if this is phpmyadmin
being too sensitive or I have a real problem?

Here is some of the output from phpmyadmin:
                                 Per hour
Connections Aborted  	12  	0.36  	9.38%

Handler_read_rnd  	2 M  	The number of requests to
read a row based on a fixed position. This is high if
you are doing a lot of queries that require sorting of
the result. You probably have a lot of queries that
require MySQL to scan whole tables or you have joins
that don't use keys properly.

Handler_read_rnd_next 	9 M 	The number of requests to
read the next row in the data file. This is high if
you are doing a lot of table scans. Generally this
suggests that your tables are not properly indexed or
that your queries are not written to take advantage of
the indexes you have.

Qcache_lowmem_prunes  	394  	The number of queries
that have been removed from the cache to free up
memory for caching new queries. This information can
help you tune the query cache size. The query cache
uses a least recently used (LRU) strategy to decide
which queries to remove from the cache.

Created_tmp_disk_tables  	18 k  	The number of
temporary tables on disk created automatically by the
server while executing statements. If
Created_tmp_disk_tables is big, you may want to
increase the tmp_table_size value to cause temporary
tables to be memory-based instead of disk-based.

Select_full_join  	956  	The number of joins that do
not use indexes. If this value is not 0, you should
carefully check the indexes of your tables.

Opened_tables  	198  	The number of tables that have
been opened. If opened tables is big, your table cache
value is probably too small.

Table_locks_waited  	98  	The number of times that a
table lock could not be acquired immediately and a
wait was needed. If this is high, and you have
performance problems, you should first optimize your
queries, and then either split your table or tables or
use replication.