[mythtv-users] ProjectGrayhem-wide theme version 1.2

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 19 22:06:27 UTC 2006

On 02/19/2006 02:25 PM, James Stembridge wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> Please don't suggest using the wrong DPI.  Displays for mythfrontend
>> should be set to 100 DPI.  Changing the DPI only changes the problems
>> (probably to ones you feel are less intrusive) but does not fix them.
>>
> [Sorry, dragging up an old message here]
>
> 100 DPI in which direction? As I use a non-wide resolution (720x576)
> to a wide display I can't set the DPI to be 100 in both direction and
> have video displayed correctly.
>
> What's the recommended approach in this instance?

Depends on which one you want to be wrong.  ;)

If you set your horizontal DPI to 100, graphics and text should line up
horizontally, but may be offset vertically.  If you set your vertical
DPI to 100...

IMHO, vertical offset looks far more incorrect than horizontal offset
(an arrow on top of the text to which it's pointing looks better than an
arrow pointing to the wrong text), so I'd go with 100DPI vertical.  So,
for 16:9 using 720x576, I'd use "DisplaySize 259 146" (values
truncated--in general truncating seems to work better for me than
rounding--but verify with your X logs that you've convince X to use
100DPI vertical).

And, if you really want it to look nice, you could then create your own
version of the theme you're using that's set up for your 100DPI vertical
x 70DPI horizontal display.  Personally, though, I'd just spend the time
it would take to modify the theme watching TV and make any visitors who
ask about the alignment issues drop the subject by going into
excruciating detail on why the offset exists.  ;)

Mike