[mythtv-users] DVD playback

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 19 18:05:47 UTC 2006

On Feb 19, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Thomas Baker wrote:

> Thanks for your replies.  Assuming it was possibly the DVD drive
> that is
> either failing or is having trouble reading double layer discs (as
> suggested by Brian Wood), I swapped in my brand new DVD writer.  In my
> tests on another machine, it seemed to do a better job reading the
> discs
> than my standard DVD-ROM, so I put it in my MythTV machine.
> Unfortunately, I am getting the same errors as before.  In the command
> line, I am also getting errors saying that it "cannot read to block
> XXXXXX" and also "invalid IFO" errors.  The only difference between
> the
> two machines was that my Myth machine is 64 bit while my test
> machine is
> not.  Both are running FC4 as appropriate to their archs.

Weird.

The architecture shouldn't have anything to do with the matter, as
you probably know.

Does the drive read CDs OK ?? Is the problem just with encrypted DVDs
or any DVD ?? Does it read a data DVD correctly ??

Is there anything else on the IDE bus with the DVD drive ?? does
removing that other device change things ?? Is DMA enabled on the
drive ?? Does disabling it change anything ?? Are you using SCSI
emulation on the drive?? Does accessing it directly make a difference ??

By a process of elimination you should be able to narrow the problem
down to the interface, driver or software, now that you would seem to
have eliminated the drive itself.