[mythtv-users] MythTV and HD have revived the relevancy of movie broadcasts

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Feb 19 05:43:29 UTC 2006

Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> says:
> What is cable ? Never heard of it !
>
> [ Two HD OTA tuners (HD3000 and Dvico Fusion Lite) and proud of them :-)
> Recording Olympic HD and Cast Away at 8pm ]

I do have cable TV, and lots of it. I also am, however, recording Cast
Away, and will record Terminator 3 tomorrow. Last week I recorded Die
Another Day and The Green Mile. All thanks to the national broadcast
networks. This is an interesting change in viewing habits from my
pre-MythTV and pre-HDTV days, in which I never bothered with "World
Television Premiers" on the networks because a) they had commercials
and b) the feeds, even over cable, were of lower quality than the
movie channels on the digital cable channels.

Now, the situation has changed; if anything the broadcast networks in
HDTV look noticeably better than HDTV HBO, CineMAX, Showtime, and
Starz! because the cable providers don't compress the former nearly as
much (Actually, based on the filesizes (7.7GB/hour or so) I see for
network-over-cable recordings versus network-over-the-air, I don't
think my cable provider compresses them at all. [Beyond the normal
MPEG-2 compression, I mean.] I don't know how normal that is.) And of
course, MythTV can take care of the commercials should we wish.