[mythtv-users] Separate partition for live TV no longer recommended in .19?

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Sat Feb 18 15:50:30 UTC 2006

Garth Benedict wrote:

> Excellent to know, thanks.  After browsing through the new setup pages
> I saw the option had gone away so I hoped it was the case.  Will stuff
> a couple movies in there and symlink them!
>
> On 2/18/06, *Michael T. Dean* <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
> <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/18/2006 12:12 AM, Garth Benedict wrote:
>     > Have had my myth box running for a couple years back.  Then it was
>     > recommended that the life TV buffer point to a separate 10GB
>     partition
>     > or so.  With the new live TV stuff is this going to knock my box
>     > over?  Do most people just have the TV buffer in their normal
>     partition?
>
>     There's no longer a separate location for LiveTV.  Instead, LiveTV is
>     recorded into your recordings directory (RecordFilePrefix), so you
>     can
>     decide to keep any or all of the shows you watched in LiveTV.  So, you
>     no longer have a choice--your LiveTV "buffer" is in your "normal"
>     recordings partition--and you'll probably want to find another use
>     for
>     your 10GB LiveTV partition.
>
>     Mike

Which means i will have to do some performance verification before
switching my operational Myth system to 0.19. For 0.18 i am using a
separate U320 HD for liveTV buffering. That way it does not hit the SATA
Raid...

Oh well, the problem LiveTV has with a DVB back-end is a totally
blocking issue for me to upgrade anyway. That needs to be solved first,
and i am no programmer. All i can do is test and report.

Cheers,

Rudy

P.S. It is blocking because it is the only way we have to casually watch
a satellite only channel.