[mythtv-users] Problem with MythTV/HDTV/nVidia

Steve Meyers steve-lists-mythtv at spamwiz.com
Sat Feb 18 15:39:48 UTC 2006

I've got a Pentium 4 2.8GHz with an nVidia FX 5500 in my frontend
machine.  I'm having a little bit of trouble playing HDTV on it.

If I don't enable XvMC, but use libmpeg2, I can play 720p without many
problems, but 1080i stutters every 1-2 seconds.  Even 720p stutters once
every 10-15 seconds or so.

If I turn off libmpeg2 and enable XvMC, it plays back with no
stuttering.  However, within a 1-5 minutes, it goes berserk.  The vast
majority of the screen (90-95%) becomes a blocky purple or green.  If I
let that continue, it completely freezes X within 30 seconds.  A
ctrl-alt-backspace will get me out of X, so the computer isn't
completely frozen.

I'm using Fedora Core 4, the 2.6.15-1.1831 kernel, and the nVidia 7676
driver.  I've tried the more recent nVidia drivers, but downgraded in an
attempt to fix this problem because I'd read that the 7676 driver was
more stable.  Obviously, it wasn't -- the problem didn't go away at all.

Any ideas?  Has anyone else seen anything remotely like this?  I've
tried all sorts of searching on the internet, and can't find anything
like this.

Thanks!