[mythtv-users] lirc question

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 18 14:55:48 UTC 2006

On 02/17/2006 11:38 PM, Paul Wilson wrote:
> Without knowing alot about LIRC, what I have partly found out about the
> way XINE uses it to send commands
> They take some sort of Symbol command which then translates to a key
> cmd. This would open up more possibilities for various remotes .
> Take the following examples for Xine
> eg
> begin
> prog = xine
> button = Zoom+
> repeat = 3
> config = ToggleAspectRatio
> end
> which translates to the below:
>
> # cycle aspect ratio values
> ToggleAspectRatio {
>         key = a
>         modifier = none
> }
> ===
>
> So why can't MythTV have
> prog = mythtv
> button = LiveTV
> config =WatchLiveTV
> end

This would mean that that button--regardless of which part of MythTV or
which plugin you're using--would only allow you to watch LiveTV.  I
personally think using key names that can be reused throughout the app
is A Good Thing.

Even names like "Play" would be limiting--especially for users with few
remote buttons--in that "P" is reused as both Play and Pause.  And Left
is reused as both Left and Exit and Right as Right and Select (with
Arrow Key Accelerators enabled).

Mike