[mythtv-users] What email client are you using?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Feb 18 03:03:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:06:31PM -0500, Matt Hannan wrote:
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > Richard: I've quoted your entire reply here, so that you can see how it
> > appears to someone reading the mailing list in a text-based email
> > program.  Hopefully, you will be able to see how disjointed it is, for
> > all the reasons noted previously.
> > In that message, you've got things in at least 3 different
> > chronological orders, and maybe 4.  I lost track.  You can ignore the
> > linky stuff at the bottom; that's just how Lynx renders HTML for Mutt.

> Look. I agree with the top-posting v. bottom-posting tips, but you have
> to realize
>  that probably more than 95% of the people running MythTV have both the
> backend
> and the frontend running on the same machine. What does that mean?
> They are not surfing in Lynx. Hopefully, they are using Firefox.

Lynx was a complete red herring to the discussion at hand.  Let's not
go there, 'k?

> It is 2006, man. Not 1976. If you are going to start playing the "gotta
> send in text format
> because my mail reader is ELM" hand, you need to look at your own usage.

No, you gotta send mail in text format, *because email is a text format
medium*.   Mailing lists, doubly so.

> If you are SO protective of your server that
> you will not even run a GUI on it, then you probably should not be
> surfing/emailing
> on it, especially to a MULTIMEDIACENTRIC (think I just made up a word)
> mailing
> list like MythTV-Users.

I run mutt in a vt100 window on several GUI's.

Please stop making up strawman arguments to support your point, when
the weight of the facts are against it.  It only makes you look bad.

> Not looking for a flame fest here. Just expressing MHO on the matter.

IMHO, YHO is uninformed.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?