[mythtv-users] What email client are you using?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 17 23:01:00 UTC 2006

On Feb 17, 2006, at 3:43 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

>> I assume your point is that if you use rich formatting your email
>> gets
>> an html component? Is that not widely understood?
>
> The point (as others have pointed out in this thread and time and time
> again in other threads) is that a lot (most?) people don't seem to
> know
> how to trim emails when they reply.  That fact is compounded when
> they think
> their emails have to be pretty and sent out as text and html at the
> same
> time.  So, we get emails that are 8000-10000 bytes, with only 2-4
> words
> of reply ranging from "Me too!" to "Gmail is da bomb!".  <sarcasm>But,
> they're pretty words, so I guess that makes all the difference. </
> sarcasm>

At the very least folks should trim the multiple footers and sigs.
The problem is that if somebody wants to just dash off a quick "me
too", these are the messages least likely to have been edited, so the
shortest posts are likely to be the worst offenders.

To be fair, there are forums where HTML is the norm and perhaps even
wanted by the participants. There are also lists and forums where top-
posting makes sense - if there is a limited number of topics that all
participants are following closely, then top posting puts the desired
info where it is easiest to read without having to go through stuff
you already know, yet the entire  thread is there should it be needed
for reference or citation.

Let's not assume that what's "right" for this particular forum here
is "right" in every instance, each group has it's own particular
needs, wants and preferences.