[mythtv-users] Which device is which

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 16 23:26:52 UTC 2006

On Feb 16, 2006, at 4:08 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> Michael Haan wrote:
>> On 2/16/06, *R. G. Newbury* <newbury at mandamus.org
>> <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Brian Wood wrote:
>>

>> I appreciate the time you put into this e-mail.  This seems like a
>> weak spot in linux; I'm suprised it exists!
> I'm not so sure that it is a 'weak spot' so much as 'the way it
> works is
> not quite what we think it is'....The damn thing IS a computer. It
> always does what it's told, it's just that we tell it to do stupid
> things, not the smart things we think we are telling it to do.
>
> That the kernel loads the modules for the hardware it finds makes
> perfect sense. That it does not *seem* to do so in a repeatable order
> may well be "operator error".  I did not spend any time checking what
> was going on. IIRC it was the cx88-blackbird module which kept being
> moved in front of cx88-dvb. Maybe those two have to be that way,
> and it
> is actually correct. Maybe I should just make the file read-only!
>
> In any event, once the kernel has loaded the module, modprobe.conf is
> irrelevant. This fact IS a little obscure....
>
> Make sure to let us know what you find out......a "SOLVED" in the
> subject would be good...

Just to make clear, this thread is not about a problem *I* am having,
but rather another user named "Brian" (sorry, I just cleaned out my
deleted files so I can't get the exact name).

Not that there is any sort of problem, but the citation above makes
it appear to be my problem, when I just added a few lines at one
point to the effect that I noticed the OP had both cx8800 and cx88-
dvd loaded. The quote that leads this post is not from me.

Just keeping the record clear, lord knows I have enough problems
without somebody else's being attributed to me, nothing negative
implied or inferred about anyone or anything.