[mythtv-users] Live TV Buffer Location with 0.19

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 16 04:33:09 UTC 2006

On 02/15/2006 09:10 PM, Randall Blecher wrote:
> With 0.18 I had my MythTV frontend/slave-backend set up to use the
> local hard drive for caching Live TV and a remote NFS mount for
> storing recorded programs.  With 0.19, the settings no longer has a
> place to define a location for the live tv buffer.  Instead, it simply
> uses the same location (in my case the NFS mount).  This wouldn't be
> so bad, except that it causes a lot of buffer underruns and skipping
> due to network latency.
>
> I checked the database, and the setting LiveBufferDir is still set to
> the same local directory, but I guess Mythtv ignores this setting
> now.  Anyone know how I can get Live TV to record locally like it did
> before?
Your only option for local LiveTV is to create a separate recording
directory for the master and slave backends (local directories, not
network directories).  LiveTV prefers local capture cards, so this would
result in your LiveTV being stored locally unless all local capture
cards are in use when you go into LiveTV.  Of course, this means, also,
that you would need to ensure both master and slave backends have
sufficient storage for the shows they will each record (both LiveTV and
recordings).

Mike