[mythtv-users] 0.19 and sound

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 23:21:13 UTC 2006

Joacim J wrote:
> I have compiled with:
>
> $ ./configure --prefix=/opt/mythtv-0.19 \
> --enable-xvmc \
> --enable-lirc \
> --enable-audio-alsa \
> --enable-audio-oss \
> --enable-audio-jack \
> --enable-audio-arts \
> --enable-opengl-vsync \
> --enable-dvd \
> --enable-dvb \
> --enable-firewire \
> --enable-ivtv \
> --enable-joystick-menu \
> --enable-proc-opt \
> --enable-dts
>
> And have not tried with ALSA:default instead of /dev/dsp but still no luck.
>
> // Jocke

let me interject, and I hope I don't make this more complicated - and
this may not even help. I don't know anything about Gentoo so take that
into account. I use FC3/4, and the following works on FC.

ALSA is definitely preferred over OSS. You can check ALSA status with
these current handy-dandy utilities:

How to know which ALSA version is included in currently running kernel?
cat /proc/asound/version

What cards alsa knows about:
cat /proc/asound/cards

What devices alsa knows about:
cat /proc/asound/devices
cat /proc/asound/modules

alsa sound status:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound status

and, of course, try lsmod ( /sbin/lsmod) to see current modules loaded.