[mythtv-users] 0.19 LiveTV problems

James Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Wed Feb 15 22:59:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-13 at 16:40 -0700, James Dastrup wrote:
> Everything working pretty well for me with the new version, except it
> now takes about 15 seconds from when you click 'Watch TV' to when the
> picture appears.

I haven't seen any replies to this, maybe no one else is experiencing
it. But I'll add a little more details to this, just in case. I'm using
the exact same hardware and environment from 0.18.1.  The upgrade went
smooth.

I have a backend with an HD tuner card, and a separate frontend. When I
start watching LiveTV on the frontend, it takes 15 seconds to start
watching LiveTV. If I run mythfrontend on the backend and watch LiveTV,
it start in 6 seconds! There is also several other little quirks that
have showed up with LiveTV - a few prebuffering pauses, audio out of
sync at times, OSD not smooth during the fadeout, etc.  But, watching
recordings is fine.  I had no virtually no LiveTV issues with 0.18.1.

So my questions:

1) If LiveTV is now supposed to be just like Watching a Recording now,
why do they not act the same? Plus, if I go back and watch the clip from
the Recordings screen - no longer in LiveTV mode - no glitches! The same
recording gives me different results. What's different with LiveTV than
watching recordings?

2) Why the 15 second delay with a remote tuner card, and 6 second delay
with a local card? And, even 6 seconds is longer than using 0.18.1 - I
used to only have a 3 second delay.