[mythtv-users] MythVideo thumbnails

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Wed Feb 15 22:23:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:25:57 -0500
Aaron Segaert wrote:

> Instead of getting movie posters from IMDB, is it possible for MythVideo
> to use thumbnail previews, like the movie previews in Gnome's Nautilus
> or Windows Explorer?
>
> Perhaps someone has patch/hack to do this?  I wish I could do it myself,
> but I'm not a programmer.
>
> The reason I bring this up is because hardly any of my videos have cover
> art and therefore MythVideo really doesn't look nice, no matter if using
> list, browse or gallery mode.

Thats a nice idea,  most of my stuff in mythvideo is downloaded tv programmes, and having the same imdb cover art for 30 episodes of Lost is boring.

In theory the script will:

for each entry in the video table
if entry has no cover art
	make a thumbnail (say 5 mins into the file)
	store it in a known location
	insert the path to the thumbnail in the database
endif
next

thumbnail should not be the first frame of the file, as this is often blank, or an advert, or a studio logo or something.

I am no programmer, but could probably hack up a half page script to do this (badly) in a week or two of frustration :-)

--
Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>