[mythtv-users] MythWeb 0.18 movie search not working for au

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 00:58:24 UTC 2006

> I get now hits from Mythweb if I do a Movie search ie
> search.php?searchstr=canned%3AMovies
> but running the following SQL against the database gives me 22 hits
> SELECT *  FROM `program` WHERE `category` LIKE 'movie%'
>
> What should the category be for this canned search? Movie or Movies?
> or is it the category_type field which is blank? how is this populated?

It's going to depend on which grabber you're using. There are 3 for
Australia and I think they all use different categories:

1) The NineMSN grabber from http://immir.com/tv_grab_au. This uses the
NineMSN TV Guide as it's source which doesn't seem to mark movies as
Movies - it seems to mark them as Horror, Drama, Action etc so you
can't really use that to identify movies. Crocodile Dundee is marked
as Comedy.

2) The TV Guide (aka OzTivo) grabber from
http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Guidedata/WebHome. This seems to
have multiple categories for a single program - eg Crocodile Dundee
has 3 categories - Comedy, Movie & Movies. It looks to me as if
mythfilldatabase chooses the 1st category it finds in the XML file
which in this case is Comedy.

3) The d1.com.au grabber from
http://www.onlinetractorparts.com.au/rohbags/. This one gets its data
from d1.com.au but the general feeling seems to be that the data is
patchy and not as good a soure as the other 2. This does, however,
seem to categorise movies as Movie which would mean MythWeb would pick
it up.

So all of this is a bit of a pain as things like MythWeb and the
Program Guide screens use the categories to show programs in different
colours. Also, things like Brad Templeton's tvwish software rely on
programs being categorised a certain way.

So what to do? One thing I thought of was to continue to download data
from NineMSN, but also download from TVGuide and load the latter up
into a separate program table (perhaps by creating a 2nd database). I
would then update the program categories in the NineMSN data with
those from the TVGuide data ensuring that keyword categories such as
Movie got priority where there were multiple categories against the
one program. This is just an idea at the moment - I haven't done
anything about it yet. I'm not even sure if you can update table1 in
database1 from table1 in database2.

Interested to hear what other ideas people may have.

Regards,
Phill