[mythtv-users] HD-3000 and DVD device Permissions

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 21:28:59 UTC 2006

> On Feb 14, 2006, at 1:36 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
>
> > On 2/14/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >> A couple of presumably udev-related problems:
> >>
> >> The permissions on my /dev/dvb/adapter0 devices always come up  as
> >> root:root and 660. I changed them in /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-
> >> pchdtv.permissions but the system ignores the change, or perhaps does
> >> change them but then changes them back?
> >
> > you try adding
> > SUBSYSTEM=="dvb",       GROUP="video"
> > to /etc/udev/permissions.rules?
> > then just add the video group to your mythtv user. this is how it
> > works in my Debian system.
>
> Well those parameters are in my /etc/udev/rules.d./50-udev.rules
>
> But they seem to be getting ignored.

sounds like something is overriding these settings then, maybe a rule
that runs later in your /etc/udev directory?

> >> Is there some other place I should be changing the permissions that
> >> get assigned to the devices? I can change them easily enough after
> >> the fact but, as I said, it bugs me :-)
> >>
> >> A somewhat related matter, it is a 50/50 proposition as to which of
> >> my DVD drives is going to come up as /dev/dvd, the other being /dev/
> >> dvd1 (hdc and hdd really). I'm guessing it has to do with which drive
> >> happens to finish its initialization first, but it would be nice to
> >> have this be consistent :-)
> >
> > just reference the actual device and ignore /dev/dvd, though I've
> > never seen them come up randomly like you describe.
> >

> I can't remember if it is the hdc/hdd that get reversed or just the
> symlinks. I try not to reboot this box so I'll have to wait 'till the
> next time they get reversed. .

hdc and hdd should not get reversed since they are based on the order
your ide devices are plugged int (hda = Channel 1 Master, hdb =
Channel 1 Slave, hdc = Channel 2 Master, hdd = Channel 2 Slave, etc)

--
Steve