[mythtv-users] HD-3000 and DVD device Permissions

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Feb 14 20:37:40 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> A couple of presumably udev-related problems:
>
> The permissions on my /dev/dvb/adapter0 devices always come up  as
> root:root and 660. I changed them in /etc/udev/permissions.d/10-
> pchdtv.permissions but the system ignores the change, or perhaps does
> change them but then changes them back?
>
> Is there some other place I should be changing the permissions that
> get assigned to the devices? I can change them easily enough after
> the fact but, as I said, it bugs me :-)

Try putting your rule in /etc/udev/rules.d  as '10-pchdtv.rules'
That's where most of this sort of thing is done.

> A somewhat related matter, it is a 50/50 proposition as to which of
> my DVD drives is going to come up as /dev/dvd, the other being /dev/
> dvd1 (hdc and hdd really). I'm guessing it has to do with which drive
> happens to finish its initialization first, but it would be nice to
> have this be consistent :-)

I must say that that sounds weird. Take a look at the rules in
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules.
The present rule (FC4) is:

 KERNEL=="hd[a-z]", BUS=="ide", SYSFS{removable}=="1",
PROGRAM=="/etc/udev/script
s/check-cdrom.sh %k DVD", SYMLINK="dvd%e"

If you want to live dangerously you could try putting in 2 rules prior
to that, somehting like
KERNEL=="hdc", BUS=="ide", SYSFS{removable}=="1", PROGRAM=="/etc/udev/script
s/check-cdrom.sh %k DVD", SYMLINK="dvd1"
KERNEL=="hdd", BUS=="ide", SYSFS{removable}=="1", PROGRAM=="/etc/udev/script
s/check-cdrom.sh %k DVD", SYMLINK="dvd2"

But I have no idea if that will not make your dog howl and your hair
fall out.

Geoff

       R. Geoffrey Newbury
     Barrister and Solicitor