[mythtv-users] Frozen Picture

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Tue Feb 14 17:35:03 UTC 2006

I'm running Myth 0.18-r2 built from Gentoo ebuilds on a 2.6.13-r5
kernel.  Everything was working fine until the machine rebooted a few
days ago due to a power outage.  Now video is frozen whether playing
back from a recording or watching LiveTV.  Sound is good.  I know the
files are fine as they play OK on a Windows XP box with media player.
Although I don't recall changing anything in particular, I did remove
"cruft" with eclean from the gentoolkit package sometime prior to that
power outage.

I've had this symptom in the past when upgrading my kernel and not
rebuilding ivtv.  Thus I assume my cruft cleaning may have removed
something ivtv needs.  I rebuilt ivtv 0.4.0-r3 which is the same version
I had before and the latest unmasked version in Gentoo portage.  Then I
rebooted and all was well.

But then I rebooted again and the video froze.  Now it seems that I have
to rebuild ivtv, run 'revdep-rebuild' (a Gentoo script the checks for
reverse dependencies and build them if necessary - it never finds any on
my system), run 'update-modules' (a Gentoo script that generates
modprobe.conf), and reboot again.  Then it works until the next reboot
where I start the process over.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can check to figure out what the
problem really is?  I just don't get it and am very frustrated.  I'd
appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Drew

--