[mythtv-users] Radeon 8500 hdtv questions...

James Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue Feb 14 15:35:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 10:13 -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/14/06, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 13 February 2006 14:45, Steven Adeff wrote:
> > > A friend of mine had a spare Radeon 8500 laying around and let me
> > > borrow it to see if I can get it to play with my HDTV better than my
> > > nvidia card is.
> >
> > Good luck. I've personally found Radeon cards to be complete and total crap
> > w/HDTV, though its been a while. Couldn't ever get a Radeon 9200 Pro to work
> > worth a damn with the fglrx, radeon or gatos drivers -- different problems
> > with each one of them.
> >
> > > So I got the drivers installed and everything, but so far I can't
> > > figure out how to get it to output an HDTV signal to my tv through its
> > > DVI port. I was using my nvidia card this way, and even tried the
> > > modeline I was using with no luck.
> >
> > Which driver are you using? The fglrx driver includes some utilities for
> > setting up custom modelines, maybe that's the ticket...
>
> Jarod, right as usual, I gave up. It took me about an hour to get the
> drivers working, and when I did, I have no idea what I did to get it
> to work. I couldn't get it to read custom modelines, it would ONLY use
> modelines it created automatically, it didn't even seem to acknowledge
> the xorg.conf file, loading extensions at its whim... So I tried to
> downgrade to the next olderversion I could find. No go, from that
> point on I could never get the driver to load properly.
>
> It amazes me that a bunch of random computer scientists can write
> properly working opensource drivers in a matter of months yet big bad
> ATI can barely put out crud in the year or two they've been writing
> the driver... back to nVidia, time to bite the bullet and buy a 5200.
>
> --
> Steve

If you want to use ATI, you need at least a 9600 and a P4 2.8 (or AMD
equivalent).  You'll find that it works just fine, and you will have
less problems than with the nVidia cards because there is less to
configure - no opengl, no XvMC, no recompiling Myth every time you
change the driver version, etc.