[mythtv-users] mythweather NWS data?

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 14 13:54:32 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Freeman" <mlfreeman at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythweather NWS data?

>the NWS uses defined XML, I believe...
>if I go this route, I might just make a new plugin based a copy of the
>current one's source rather than try to patch it.

>On 2/14/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/13/2006 11:36 PM, Michael Freeman wrote:
>> > can mythweather be made to use NWS data feeds now or would that
>> > require coding?
>> > would anyone want that besides me? (i've been looking at writing an
>> > aggregator for all the disparate noaa.gov <http://noaa.gov> resources
>> > i've found...maybe i should put it in mythweather)
>> If you do a patch, remember there's a large population of non-US Myth
>> users, so it will have to handle both.  MSN was chosen for weather data
>> because it seemed to have the best worldwide coverage and an easy to
>> parse format (the maps are from TWC, though).
>>
>> Mike

The long term goal is to separate out the data grabbing from the displaying
side in MythWeather so we can use data from other sources and also to
allow different frontends to share the data without having to re-download it.

See http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/560

I don't really have any time or incentive to work on this right now but if you
are going to write some code to grab data from another source it would be
great if you could patch the existing sources to allow for different data sources
rather that create a new plugin.

You may be able to use the patch in the ticket as a start?

Paul H.