[mythtv-users] Mythweb hacking

Gay Mort gmmyth at saplings.us
Tue Feb 14 11:28:57 UTC 2006

I have nuvexport setup so I can convert my NUV files to AVI files which
Microsoft Media Player can then recognize.

I also experimented and if I create a soft link in the video recordings
diretly with the OLD NUV filename and point it to the new AVI filename,
I can then open mythweb, go to the list of recordings, click on Open
With for the NUV link and send it directly to Media Player.  Media
Player than complains that it is an unrecognized file extention, asks me
to verify it should open it, and then works fine.

So, my NEXT step would be to heck MythWeb's PHP code to check to see if
the list of files it is looking at are soft links, if they are to find
out the real filename and use the real filename instead of the NUV
filename as the label for the browser.

I poked around a little in the mythweb PHP code but didn't see anything
which jumps out at me(I can modify PHP code, I have not written any from
scratch).

As far as I can tell, mythweb doesn't actually check the files currently
when running, just the database and it generates filenames based on the
MythTV std.  I base this on the fact I reconfigured mythtv to use a
seperate hard drive to store videos and Mythweb would show me a list of
my recorded programs, but all the links were dead ends because the
video_dir symbolic link  in mythweb was pointing to the old directory.
Every time I tried to use the Mythweb generated URL's in VLC it died as
there was no file.  I simply deleted the video_dir symlink and mythweb
recreated it when I pulled up the recorded programs.
(as an aside, this means I COULD instead of checking the file instead
append a column to the table MythWeb pulls recorded programs from, call
it movedFilename and stick the Filename and perhaps path there and have
mythweb use that column if it's there instead of generating the filename
from the other info.  That would be cleaner, to my thinking, but would
require modifying the table each and every time the database is
recreated/updated.  Wheras checking the filenames generated to make sure
they aren't symlinks and updating accordingly if they are seems cleaner)